Keeping your home in good condition requires continual care. Every season requires different tasks. This summer, make sure you step away from the beach long enough to tackle this summer home maintenance checklist.
- Home Safety: Check your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working properly.
- Windows: This is no one’s favorite task, but it does make a difference. Use a glass cleaner to wipe off dirt and fingerprints.
- Outdoor Grills: Deep clean your grill! For charcoal grills, completely empty the grill and wipe it off. Use hot water and liquid dishwashing soap to scrub the inside. For a gas grill, turn the heat to high and let it cook with the lid closed for about 30 minutes. Then, let the grill cool completely, and clean it with a grill brush. Wipe down the exterior with a gentle cleanser, and clean the drip pans.
- Patio: If you have a patio, sweep off any debris. Consider power washing it to help remove embedded dirt and stains.
- Deck: Hammer in any loose nails. Check for wood rot and replace any boards that are in poor condition. Check to see if you need to seal your deck by sprinkling water on the deck’s boards. If the water soaks in instead of beading up, you need to reseal your deck.
- Flower Beds: Add a fresh layer of mulch to your flower beds. It will help keep moisture in the ground during those hot summer days. Mulch also helps keep weeds at bay.
- Plants: Plan a watering schedule and stick to it! Investing in a soaker hose will help keep in-ground plants hydrated. Instead of watering lightly every day, considering watering deeply twice a week to promote root growth.
- Trees: Trim outgrowths to maintain an attractive appearance. If you have trees close to sidewalks, remove any branches that enter this space.
This list shows the “must-do” tasks, but if you want to go the extra mile, work on some landscaping. Or if you love to entertain, add some fun decor and lighting to your deck or patio. Tackle everything on this summer home maintenance checklist, and then make your own with fun projects that make your home the perfect place for you.