With Spring upon us, it’s time to think about giving your home's exteriors some TLC. The majority of Bishard Homes are built with vinyl siding or Hardie® siding—materials with high durability and relatively low maintenance. Even so, exterior surfaces and living areas benefit from annual cleaning to maintain functionality, safety, curb appeal and prevent future damage.
Follow this exterior maintenance checklist and take your spring cleaning outside.
- Wash the walls. You might be surprised at how much dirt has built on your home’s exterior walls. Bishard Homes offers Hardie® siding that is engineered with fiber cement to withstand the humidity, heat and seasonal changes unique to our region. It’s easy to clean with a garden hose and gentle pressure.
If your home has vinyl siding, be cautious with the pressure washer. The best way to clean vinyl siding is with soapy water and a long-handled brush. Avoid hard metal brushes or products with abrasive surfaces that can damage siding.
- Inspect the roof. Snow and ice might have caused damage to your home’s roof. Check for cracked, loose, or missing shingles, and replace any that you find. Also, look for water stains on your ceilings. Melting snow might have left marks where you have roof leaks.
- Clean the windows and screens. No one enjoys washing windows, but you’ll enjoy the results of a better view. The best window cleaning solution is a mixture of equal parts of white vinegar and water. And don’t waste paper towels. Use crumpled newspaper, which doesn’t leave lint behind.
Scrub your screens with warm, soapy water and a soft brush. Small holes can be repaired by pressing the mesh back in place and applying a few coats of clear nail polish to hold them there.
- Clear out the gutters. Twice a year (spring and fall), you should remove all the debris from your gutters and flush out the gutters and downspouts with a hose. Build-up can lead to water damage to your home. Inspect your gutters for cracks and make sure they’re firmly attached.
- Refresh your patio, porch, and deck. Get ready for outdoor entertaining by pressure washing your outdoor living space surfaces. Reseal the decking. Check the steps and railings to be sure everything is firmly in place.
The upside of this side of spring cleaning is that you can enjoy the outdoors while you’re working through your exterior maintenance checklist!